One is likely to stay in the hospital for four to six days, and then you may have to stay there with a wedge shaped cushion, between the legs to keep the new hip joint in the perfect place. In your bladder, a drainage tube will be placed which will help you to go to the bathroom. After the day of the surgery, physical therapy begins and within a few days, you can walk with a crutch, stretcher or a crane. Physical therapy will be undertaken for weeks to months after the course of the surgery.
The activities which need to be avoided after the surgery?
Somewhere between 6 to 12 months of the surgery twisting of the hip should be avoided at any cost. One should not go on to cross the involved leg past the midline of the body, nor you should turn it inward as well. The role of a physical therapist is to provide you with a host of techniques, along with adaptive equipment which will help you to follow the precautions or guidelines when you perform the routine activities. A point to remember is that if you do not follow the recommendations of a therapist the chances of dislocation are quite common and you may need another surgery.
Even after your hip has healed you should go on to avoid certain activities, like lifting heavy weights or indulge in certain sports. The joint which is replaced is intended for day to day activity normally.
The activities which you can perform this surgery?
A few measures can be adopted which can make your life easier once you return home after retaining a hip replacement surgery. They include
- Restrict your stair climbing activities to a bare minimum. You need to make the necessary amount of adjustments so that it is needed to go up and down the stairs once in a day
- Sit in a firm and a straight chair. A point to be considered is that recliners should not be used
- To avoid any form of falls, all the rugs should be thrown off and the rugs and the room should be free of any form of clutter
- You should go and use an elevated toilet seat. This will prevent you from bending too much at the hips
- Keep hyperactive pets till you have healed completely
Hip replacement in India cost is relatively on the cost effective side and you can save nearly half of the cost when you get it done here. This is in complete contrast to the advanced countries of the world. In addition to the cost of total hip replacement in India, another major aspect is the quality of treatment which is provided by the major hospitals in the country which can be compared to the best in the world. You can get the surgery done at the shortest possible juncture as most of them do not have waiting lists.