In case, if you are climbing on a roof, you need to be aware of the potential risks involved and must have undergone some form of safety training. When you are constantly working at heights, your main objective is to ensure safety at all times. One mistake can turn into a fatal accident and falls can be deadly. The main objective of an employer should be to prevent their workers from any untoward accidents.
A roof safety guardrail might come to your rescue. Similar on the lines of a toe board bracket, it can be seen at a height and near to the top of the room, the toe board blankets could be used in the form of slide guards. This tends to protect materials falling off from the roof.
Wherever it is possible, rely on the use of rails. It is the best way to keep your workers safe, as they need not do anything to keep themselves safe. It is considered a passive form of protection, when employees are confined to the rails. However, if your workers are trying to climb the rails then there is a bigger problem waiting for you. You can built a rail with a jobsite carpenter, though they need to conform to the guidelines of safety standards as specified by OSHA. (Concern authority)
Safety Tips for Roof Safety Guardrails
By now, you would have understood the importance of roof safety guardrails. Not only it contributes to the element of safety, but also a calm mind prevails that everything is safe around your surroundings. So, adding of guardrails is important to your job site. For all those who are not aware, it does not mean that you would need to step out and buy full metal guardrails. Some better options are available in the market, but whatever be the type of guard rails that you intend to choose there are some general rules, which you would need to be aware of.
OSHO is the authority who is entrusted with the guidelines of roof safety guardrails and the onus is on the employers to become familiar with the standards that are applicable in companies. The workers should have access to all forms of protection equipment as and when needed. On the other side, the workers should comply with all the safety rules and regulations in place.
Guidelines for Roof Safety Guardrails
- The guardrail needs to withstand around 200 pounds in terms of force, and this is 2 inches’ top from the guardrail. If it is bumped into the guardrail, it should not bump off.
- The installation of the screens need to be in between the working level and the top rail, where no other structure or wall exists, which is at least 21 inches high. Ideally, it should be situated at the midway between the working level and the top level. The screens need to extend in the same pattern, as well.
- As far as guardrails are concerned, the top rails need to be somewhere in the region between 30 to 45 inches that is above the working level. If your workers are wearing stilts, then the height of the rail needs to be adjusted accordingly.
- The guardrails need to have rough or rugged surfaces, which could lead to punctures.
- The mid rail should be capable of withstanding around 150 pounds of the force. A trail of wind should not blow your mid rail into unknown country.
The message is loud and clear! Go and purchase responsible roof safety guardrails, as you can be sure of your security with its usage on the roofs.