Nothing is more important to an athlete than receiving a trophy at the end of a game. The pride and joy they feel, when they receive one, is far greater than any monetary value. Why? Well to put it simply, trophies are rewards given to an athlete for their hard work and sweat that they put in to win any particular sport. Regardless of its size, shape, and worth, a trophy is the picture of victory that the players have produced. In short, award s symbolizes triumph. It is a token of appreciation that every player or a team cherish throughout their lives.
Types of Trophy and their Significance in Sports
Every sport has different types of trophies for its players, which makes them unique in every way. Be it football, baseball, golf or tennis no prize is similar to one another. Let us now look into some different awards, the sports they are related to and their value.
- Heisman Trophy: This bronze trophy is related to college football, and is awarded to the most valuable player.
- Commissioner Cup: This cup is bestowed to the winners of the Major League Baseball World Series. It is presented to the winning team by the commissioner of baseball himself.
- Stanley Cup: Anybody who is familiar with ice hockey knows that this is one of the most prestigious awarded given to the national hockey playoff champs. The first-ever Stanley Cup was awarded in the year 1892.
- The Vince Lombardi Trophy: Crafted entirely from sterling silver by Tiffany & Co. This famous trophy is given to the winners of the professional national football league. Unlike some sports, this trophy is given to the winning team.
- Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy:Standing at 22 inches in height, this cup is named after the late commissioner of the national basketball league. It is presented to the winners of professional basketball, a sport cherished and loved by all.
- FIFA World Cup:Related to the game of soccer, the award is made entirely out of gold.
- Gentlemen and Ladies Trophy: One of the most reputable trophies given to the winners of Wimbledon tennis champions. The cupis also considered one of the best pairs given to both men and women tennis players.
- The Borg-Warner Cup: Presented to the winner of the Indianapolis 500 race. Due to its huge height, the winners are awarded a smaller version to keep perpetually.
- The Claret Jug: This trophy is given to the winner of the British Golf tournament
All of the above trophies play a crucial role in their respective sports. Some players win it individually while others win it as the team. In both ways, the cup gives the player and a team satisfaction and determination to continue their hard work towards winning the next time around.
Age Old Tradition that will always remain Unchanged
Presenting trophies has always been around since early ages and will continue as long as sporting event exists. In earlier times, costly materials were used, but today, it does not matter what the cup is made of or how big or small it is. It is all about the symbol of being a winner.
No matter how big or small the sporting event is, all of them present their winning team or single athlete with some award to honour their victorious moment. Although monetary benefits are given along-side, it does not hold any significant value as compared to the value of the cup.